Tuesday, 12 February 2008

Strobe arm floats

The housing and strobes are still quite heavy underwater especially with one strobe positioned for rim or back lighting.

To add a little buoyancy I cut 80mm sections off a pool noodle ($3.99 from Rebel Sports) and slipped them over the strobe arms. This made the rig much easier to handle underwater. The foam does compress a bit with depth but works beautifully for shallow dives. Could be improved with even longer foam sections.

This photo also shows the white velcro strips used to hold the sync cords to the strobe arms and the green lanyard and clip for hanging the rig from my shoulder d-ring.

The flags in the map behind mark Portsea Hole, Portsea Pier and Blairgowrie Marina.

Thursday, 7 February 2008

Inon repair

The strobe has returned all fixed, no charge.
Yay Sea Optics, my new best friends.

Sunday, 3 February 2008

Inon sync socket replacement

In a previous post I mentioned that one of my Inons needed a replacement sync socket.

The problem probably originated 4 yrs ago when I bought one of the first Ikelite to Inon sync cords. The finish on the Inon end of the cord was awful with razor sharp edges and vice crimp marks. I brought this to Ike's attention and they replaced it no questions.

However the damage had already been done. The few times I used the original cord had scratched the o-ring sealing surface of the Inon. I smoothed and polished the scratches fairly well but I guess over the years enough salt water seeped through to cause corrosion of the contact pins.

This came to a head in Tassie when I didn't undo the sync cord for maybe 36 hrs and the photo shows the result.

Anyway I sent it off to Sea Optics for a replacement. Total cost was $330 including $135 for the socket, $127 labour plus o-ring kit and pressure test. Way more than I expected but this ain't a cheap hobby! Strangely the socket was installed 180 degress rotated to where it was, meaning the brass locating pin was at the bottom.

It worked well for the 10 or so dives since but then the socket started to rotate when screwing and unscrewing the black plastic locking collar on the sync cord. Apparently the socket must have sustained a knock or I have tightened it up too much (neither of which I am aware of) wrenching the locking pin out of it's hole behind the socket.

The strobe is now holidaying again in Adelaide and I shudder to think what the bill will be.

So that's why I haven't posted many images lately.

Saturday, 2 February 2008

Housing handle knob

When you put the housing down it balances precariously on the knob at the bottom of each handle.

I guess these knobs are for attaching accessories to the tray. The handles are secured by a thin nut not the knobs, so I removed them and now the housing sits on the tray base and is much more stable.
The blue covering is heat shrink tube just to cover the sharp thread. One day I may add a second nut just for peace of mind.

I also fixed the slipping control wheel problem.
I pulled off the slipping rubber ring then stuck it back on using thick, strong, foam backed double sided tape. This means the rubber ring now pushes harder on the camera control wheel.